Friday, December 31, 2004

Tsunami - Aftermath Updated

My fear about the victims in Acheh was confirmed as more and more International Relief Organisations reached the most devastated place being the nearest to the ephicentre of the earthquake.

I told my partner when we were having late night discussion with a client in at a mamak restaurant in TTDI last Monday night. I said to him that it just didnot make sense and defied logic if the number of victims of the earthquake from Acheh (as it was reported then) were in the region of 4 thousand people.

My reasoning was simple, the earthquake that hit the city of Bam, in the southern part of Iran at the Richter scale of 6.3 had claimed about 30 thousand lives. Then, there's no way the number could be so much smaller in Acheh if the earthquake registered 9.0 of the Richter scale.

The latest news in print media this morning is that the death toll in Indonesia alone may reach 400 thousand people (via the Star). I am glad to know that Malaysia's MERCY was amongst the earliest international relief team to send their team to Acheh. They have a very dedicated team of volunteers and I have pleasure of knowing a few of them.

No comments: