Thursday, September 16, 2004

What? A free car for 276 people?!!!!

I was at home resting because I was not feeling well. My body was all aching. Maybe it's the effect of the massage that I had the day earlier. Called office to cancel two of my three appointments. Had no choice but to attend the meeting that needed me to finalise the terms for the Bridging Facility for a consortium of banks in the afternoon. And it was one hell of the meeting. Chaotic may be mild the describe the meeting that went on until quarter to 9.00 in the evening. Missed the dinner that I was suppose to attend at PWTC.

**********

It was while having breakfast that I caught the picture of Oprah (Winfrey) sitting atop on a Pontiac G6 outside her Chicago Studio surrounded by some of the lucky 276 (yes, two hundred and seventy six!!!) audience who each received one of the new cars.


Apparently Oprah celebrated the 19th season of her talk show by giving every member of her audience a free car. The giveaway would have cost Oprah more than 3 million pound sterling (a whopping RM21 million). But it was reported that the cars were a gift from General Motors. Could not believe what I read.

**********

I know that we also have Oprah-like talk show helmed by Anita Sarawak. Now in its third season, if I'm not mistaken. Didn't quite follow the program, but I know that it has the same format and it also gave out some freebies and surprises to the audience and guests.

I remember watching one of the series in its first season when topic of adoption was discussed. Anita invited a childless couple to talk about their longing for a child, the red tape involved in a lawful adoption process. The couple informed that they have spent about 4-5 years to adopt one particular child from an orphanage but was constrained by some technicalities. If I was not mistaken, the child did not have birth documents and the lawful parents could not be traced. For the past 4-5 years the couple had informally "adopted" the child by visiting the child at the orphanage as if the child was theirs. The only thing they could not do was they could not bring the child back home.

When Anita asked what was their wish, the couple said they just wanted to bring the child home like any other parents. And guess what, Anita (by then trying hard not to cry) said their wish has been granted and announced that the relevant authorites have sorted out all the required documents and told the couple that they could now bring back the child as they wished.

I almost cried when the child was introduced to the audience and were hugged by the couple.

Now, it may not be in million of dollars, but still, that gift was certainly precious.






No comments: